Sunday, March 28, 2010

Joy vs. Happiness

Praise be to the might God we serve! Praise the Holy Spirit who illuminates the scripture for the Children of God! As I was driving home from Church I was thinking about a heavy metal band my friend and I both like. I have made the decision not to listen to them since their music is very angry and bitter towards life and God. My friend still listens to them, and I was role-playing in my mind how I would explain to him (a believer) why I do not listen to them any longer. This issue is my sensitivity to the emotions of music, and in most cases, the emotions in heavy metal are more exaggerated and boldly manifest than in other styles. Thus I would say that the intense anger and bitterness in this music to me is oppressive to my soul. I feel a weight, a burden if you will, on my soul when I listen to them. It was then that the Holy Spirit revealed to me this truth: we know that there is a difference between joy and happiness, and that we can have joy even when we are unhappy, but I have had a hard time finding a way to explain the difference. The Holy Spirit show me that the difference is that happiness is an emotion, which emotions come from our heart, while joy comes from our soul, effected by the Holy Spirit Himself. Some scriptures to consider: Matthew 22:37, " Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' " (NKJV). Here Jesus differentiates between the heart and soul, thus we can see that things of the heart and things of the souls are different as well. Also: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law." (Galatians 5:22 & 23, NKJV). The fruit of the Spirit of God manifest in our entire being, including our souls. Thus while we ride the emotional waves of this finite human life, our souls can rejoice in the Lord! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment