Friday, May 14, 2010

Life after Graduation

It has almost been a week since I graduated college! The idea is amazing and scary all at the same time. On the one hand, I am done with all of my classes, all of my papers, and all of the deadlines and stress that go with them. On the other hand though, I am only a few months away from student teaching. This is it; this is the real deal. This is when I get to find out how much I actually learned, where all of my learning and effort begin to seriously count. That brings with it it's own brand of pressure. While I ponder this and realize that if I screw this up, then I could blow four years of work, and it will effect my wife, not just me. On top of all that are my thoughts about my future. Where should I try to work? Should I just look for work in Omaha, or should I think about moving back to Colorado? I want to do what God wants me to do, but so far He has not given me any specific word as to what and where He wants me. It's quite a jumble of emotionally weighty thoughts swirling around in my mind. I could be very depressed right now because of it all, but I am not. And I want to tell you why: because I trust in the Lord my God. He is completely sovereign over my life, and He has allowed me to go through this period of uncertainty to remind me that it is in Him I put my trust, it is Him that I get my strength from and no one else.
His word has such wonderful promises and truths on this subject. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."(NKJV). My own understanding shows me only pressure and uncertainty, but I know that God is with me every single step every single day, and He will not abandon me. Proverbs 16:9 tells us, "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." (NLT). So here I am, ever before the Lord. I will be living in Omaha at least one more year, while my wife finishes her Associates degree. After that, for now it is up to us. We will make our plans, choosing what we want to do, and working to do it, then God will direct our steps. He has not forgotten us, but is waiting for us to do our part of the work before he gives us further instructions.
So I am at the crossroads of faith. I can step out in faith and do this hard work and make the hard decisions, and trust that God will guide me, or I can simply give it all up and go my own way away from Him. I chose faith.

1 comment:

  1. Very encouraging post! Keep walking with God and trusting and, to quote a hymn, "For God is His own interpreter/ He will make it plain"

    ReplyDelete